Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Nets and boxes and 3D things

Been busy over the last couple of days refreshing myself with pop up mechanisms, nets and everything I need to properly make this thing. (I'm going to make a drawer, that you pull out and objects pop out at you to show you who I am). Started off with making a simple pop up card: 


Next, I started using some of the letters and pictures that I had salvaeged from magazines to try out some 3D collaging. First one went in my sketchbook like here:












 (It pops up properly! I just stuck each letter up with a bit of card for legs)

Next idea was to try using boxes to simulate how my actual design will work (the pull out drawer). I started off just sticking more collage into a matchbox, which wouldn't work as my final product at all, because the objects have to fold down so that the drawer can close again. Then I made another pop up collage out of an old tiny cereal box, to express how full I want my product to look.





And finally, used another matchbox and stuck the legs in such a way that you can actually close it again. This is how I want to make my packaging.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Net

As well as the 3D aspect, I had to figure out how I would make a net to work as well. I came up with two options: 1) to be exactly like a matchbox 2) to be more like a drawer and have a frame on the front. I made quick prototypes for both of these ideas in Illustrator (and learnt I've completely forgotten where tabs should go) and assembled them to see which one would work better.




The matchbox design obviously works better because it is simpler, but the drawer style does look more attractive. It does, however require some tweaks, such as a sort of ledge in the bottom because otherwise the tray itself tilts, and doesn't work properly.

I've also just this second thought I should use the pattern I just made for the tray!

But in the mean time, I need to redesign this net and get it put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment