Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Testing pop ups (again)

Jen suggested I researched materials a little more in my assessment last week, when I realised that I'd gone with 'route a' for making the pop up. I've acted like folding card is the only way to make a 3D collage! So I thought I'd explore a few other methods before I reach my final. 















Obviously, these aren't practical for a final design. The G keeps falling off the toothpick and it's secured with blu tak; the straw is secured with sellotape. But they were things I had laying around my flat, and they do make the letters stand up, and it gets the ideas out of my head. 



New Pop Up


The next thing I tried was this traditional pop up method. Thought it would be a lot more stable than the slithers of card I had used before. 


To test this idea I gathered up some spare boxes, (2 match boxes and a cigarette box - it wasn't mine, honest!) to put more quick letter collages in. The first was two very, very long pop ups stuck inside an old cigarette box (covered it in the test run of my brown paper pattern. 2 birds, 1 stone) to see if it would pop up when you take the lid off. 

Didn't work as well as I hoped, the springs weren't particularly strong, and flopped over, but they did pop out when the lid came off! (Now I can't decide whether I like brown or white more...). Next step from here would be to try again, with smaller springs.
After constructing this, with a separate spring for each image I thought about having just one platform with all of the imagery on which would pop up.
 
Could this be the way I make my pop up?




No comments:

Post a Comment