Thursday, 24 January 2013


Another wise way to tackle this project would be to have a look at existing packaging that I particularly enjoy and find out exactly what it is that makes it so appealing. I have a thing for packaging you see, I distinctly remember being really excited when Tesco ditched their god awful barcode style ‘value’ range and picked up a lovely new user friendly style using symbols to represent each product. (couldn't resist a photo!)

(http://www.packagingnews.co.uk/news/tesco-to-drop-stripes/)

I find that I’m particularly attracted to what I’d call ‘friendly’ packaging, if it’s playful, has a happy tone of colours, has a handmade feel to it, or engages the consumer (especially in a humorous way). Searching for the perfect packaging on the internet proved harder than I expected. I found that I can appreciate a piece for being attractive or informative, or just nice, but I feel that for something to be extra special it has to demonstrate another level of creativity in its design. 


One of my other favourite ranges is the Innocent one. Their packaging is very playful and very friendly. With little facts and figures displayed beautifully for children and parents alike to understand and enjoy. A characteristic I particularly like is personifying the product and the ingredients, giving the fruit faces and a back story. There are the obvious aesthetics, the packaging is sympathetic to the brand with clean designs, zero use of capital letters and the sheer amount of facts and information available on each carton. Just all round lovely. 




Next I hit up the 'packaging' tag on tumblr. It's where I usually find hidden gems of inspiration, so don't fail me now. I realise the images I find may not be cited properly or they might be fellow students' work, so I'm sorry internet if I'm doing it wrong, but I'll hook you up to the owner if and when I can. 

(Tumblr suggested the 'branding' tag instead so I had a peep and found disturbing pictures of people actually branding themselves, you know, carving shapes into themselves. I've had it internet, I'm going to sleep.)

Little Fury


Michal Marko


Vibeke Illevold



Not going to analyse these out loud, it's late, but just something to think about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment