Monday, 28 January 2013

Inspiration #1

Martin O'Neill 
This man presented the first Curated...by lecture that I'd ever seen, and since that day, his work and style of working has stuck firmly in my mind. I found his collages really interesting, especially the nature of collecting the raw materials from various places: a dump, charity shops, flea markets, the closet... 
  
Since seeing his work and hearing him speak so passionately about something as mundane as finding papers I have been transfixed with the idea of illustrating this way. I find there is so much energy and personality bursting out of every piece. I found him so inspiring, with so many stories tell and adventures to document, and this is what I like about a piece of illustration, if it can tell a good story. I'm gonna coin the term 'sentimental design'. 


Osum Oil - Taxi - Canada
The Folio Society

I noticed that a few of his commissioned pieces involved a character with collage bursting out, as if their mind had exploded right onto the page in front of him. 

My favourite thing about this man was his method of working. Obviously, to create such beautifully detailed collages you need a lot of raw materials. Lots of books, magazines, oodles and oodles of found papers and things. To accommodate this, he has a set of drawers which are just as detailed and intricately placed as his work. I love the idea of cutting up every interesting (or not!) image and tidying it away for a later date when it will be perfectly placed in another one of his masterpieces. 

Martin's desk tidy

No comments:

Post a Comment