Paper folding.
I love workshops like this. Doing something completely new and unexpected, enjoying it and learning. Do you ever just look around and think you're just so glad to be somewhere?
Yeah, anyway, we were getting acquainted with the idea of gently folding paper to create some beautiful creases and shapes (see number 1, aka my favourite). Started off with some simple squiggly lines and circles (1-5, 4 is missing) and progressed onto a snail shape with a ridge in the middle, an unexplained shape (7) that for the purposes of this I will call a dolphin and my personal favourite, the snake (9).
It's an interesting new way to look at folding. That it isn't just a straight forward horizontal crease. You can carefully plan (or blindly cut and fold until you get it right - the more interesting option!) an interesting and beautiful shape. You could actually say something with the form of your paper. Origami a.k.a. magic?
That brings me onto the next task, everyone was given a different net and we had to use what we had learnt to make that piece of packaging reflect a word. I had a simple tuck-close box, and I chose to make it look 'heavy'. I severely underestimated the creases I was making and just ended up giving it this rather nice edge, which I suppose actually made the corners look sharp (which was another word). It didn't go how I wanted it to, I then realised: how could I ever think it was?
and I also learnt that this particular kind of crease makes a box super strong, couldn't crush it! (a last resort to make the box look heavy......)
And to finish off, (playing was encouraged,) as well as turning famous logos into something interesting. First idea was to combine the curved score down the centre with an arrow that stands up. I probably could have designed this better, but getting it right first time is B-O-R-I-N-G.
Next one was a bit more complicated. Tried and tried to make it work but couldn't figure out how. I over heard Glyn suggesting someone else work backward, so I did. The idea was for the M to be raised higher than the child in the middle, to signify parents looking over children. Sticky tape was my saviour, I might try this one again someday.


No comments:
Post a Comment